[linux-audio-user] HELP! Trying to get sequencer port recognized

Subject: [linux-audio-user] HELP! Trying to get sequencer port recognized
From: airplays55_AT_yahoo.com
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 07:07:14 EEST

I'm trying to get a sequencer like rosegarden working
under knoppix 3.4 (a debian flavor linux live CD
distro). I am unable to get a midiport like
/dev/sequencer to work.

knoppix loads the OSS driver by default, and it
recognizes the soundcard and I'm able to hear audio
waves thru the soundcard, but no midi. I can
alternatively boot with ALSA but then I don't even
hear audio, so it seems that it may be easier with OSS
since I'm halfway there.

I'd like to get the external mpu401 midiport working,
and also access the onboard FM sounds. I am using an
ALS100 soundcard (and can resort to another ESS1869 if
I need to).

Here is my system info:
  "lsmod" shows uart401, sound, and soundcore

  cat /dev/sndstat displays nothing.

  /etc/modules.conf doesnt seem to have anything
relevant (grep didnt find midi or sound anywhere)

  What is the next step to enable my midiport? I can
promptly post back any requested info. Thanks!