Re: [linux-audio-user] HELP! Trying to get sequencer port recognized

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] HELP! Trying to get sequencer port recognized
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 09:55:54 EEST

Last Wednesday 15 September 2004 05:07, airplays55_AT_yahoo.com was like:
> I'm trying to get a sequencer like rosegarden working
> under knoppix 3.4 (a debian flavor linux live CD
> distro). I am unable to get a midiport like
> /dev/sequencer to work.
>
> knoppix loads the OSS driver by default, and it
> recognizes the soundcard and I'm able to hear audio
> waves thru the soundcard, but no midi. I can
> alternatively boot with ALSA but then I don't even
> hear audio, so it seems that it may be easier with OSS
> since I'm halfway there.
>
> I'd like to get the external mpu401 midiport working,
> and also access the onboard FM sounds. I am using an
> ALS100 soundcard (and can resort to another ESS1869 if
> I need to).
>
> Here is my system info:
> "lsmod" shows uart401, sound, and soundcore
>
> cat /dev/sndstat displays nothing.
>
> /etc/modules.conf doesnt seem to have anything
> relevant (grep didnt find midi or sound anywhere)
>
> What is the next step to enable my midiport? I can
> promptly post back any requested info. Thanks!

Yikes!

I think you need to run Rosegarden with ALSA and probably Jack too to get best
results. If I were you I wouldn't start from here. AGNULA did release a live
knoppix-based CD a while back, which is still available here:
http://download.agnula.org/1.1/1.1.1/demudi-live-cd_1.1.1.iso
However <BIG DISCLAIMER>This is NO LONGER SUPPORTED</DISCLAIMER>
and if that doesn't work, the chances are that you won't find any useful
answers to your questions.

My realistic recommendation would be to do yourself a favour and install the
latest A/DeMuDi onto your HardDrive if you can. It's much easier than what
you're currently trying to do. It comes on one CD, which can be found here:
http://download.agnula.org/1.2/1.2.0/demudi_1.2.0-rc3_i386.iso
This release is very well supported should you run into difficulties. (Much
less likely ;)

cheers

tim hall