[linux-audio-user] Re: ripping a cd slows my clock and my modem

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: ripping a cd slows my clock and my modem
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 21:12:10 EEST

>From: Dirk Jagdmann <doj_AT_cubic.org>
>
>All those mainboard clocks are the cheapest you can find/build. It's
>perfectly normal for them to leak several minutes per week.

No. You did not catch the discussion:
1. Clock goes perfectly.
2. Use of CDROM device makes the **system clock** go faster.
3. Hardware clock does not go faster. Hardware clock is the
mainboard clock.

So, the problem is in Linux **software** kernel, not in **hardware**.
Clear enough? ;-)

Why kernel thinks the clock goes faster? Does reading the CDROM
generate extra IRQs or something? Is CDROM device under the same
IRQ than the system clock? What goes wrong?

I have not yet verified if recording or playing audio makes the
system clock go faster. If yes, it is not a good thing.

Juhana