Re: [linux-audio-user] Specimen SoftSampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Specimen SoftSampler
From: Pete Bessman (ninjadroid_AT_gazuga.net)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 03:32:15 EEST

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 18:30, Iván Almada wrote:
> hi, a question about specimen:

<keanu>Whoa... specimen email...</keanu>

> ive been working with your sampler and would like to
> draw automation curves from rosegarden in order to
> make filter sweeps in specific points of my song,
> which is very difficult to sync with lfos... so
> parameter automation comes handy in that situations...
> so, does specimen respond to midi cc parameters for
> controlling the filter cutoff for example ?

At the moment, you're S.O.L. A while back, given finite developer
resources, I had to make a choice between improving the GUI or improving
the MIDI support. It was a tough call, but the GUI won. The *very
next* phase will be devoted to improving the MIDI support.

There's a chance this will happen even earlier. I just got an email
from somebody who's interested in improving the MIDI support, so if that
works out then you'll have it sooner.

But at the moment, the official statement is: no, specimen's MIDI skills
are teh sux0r.

> also, youve been working on specimens GUI and
> routing??

GUI only. I've been bouncing around ideas on routing with various
people, but that's happening after the GUI and MIDI stuff. Check out
the ROADMAP file in the specimen tarball for more plans for the future.

> and about the GUI: it would be great if you could
> change those parameter number boxes with sliders or
> knobs... in fact specimen is the first sampler with
> "number" boxes ive seen, i was very used to classic
> circular knobs... though thats not a big issue ...

Specimen's old GUI was a few steps shy of being an abomination before
god. The new one is much better. You can check out the latest
prototype here:

www.gazuga.net/gui.tar.gz

Just run make and use the executable it produces. You'll need to have
phat, gtk+-2.0, and libgnomecanvas-2.0 installed. I'm also going to
upload a new screenshot to the devlog tonight.

> and which is the best way to record specimens audio
> output... so i can render the wav audio and edit with
> ardour...

Currently, it only produces a pair of outputs, left and right. Just use
them as input for ardour and away you go.

--Pete