Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: es1370 latency and jackd, late driver wakeup

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: es1370 latency and jackd, late driver wakeup
From: Louis Lam (lshoujun_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 04:16:02 EEST

Hi Jan, how are u? any new songs recorded from your band?
Hello to everyone.

 --- Jan Depner <eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net> wrote:
> Louis,
>
> I've used this card before and it works well. A couple of questions -
> are you running 2.4 or 2.6 kernel? Are you running as root? One
> important thing with the ens1370/71 - always use -r 48000! The card
> will produce tons of xruns at 44100 because it's native mode is 48K.

I'm running as root the whole time. 2.4.25-multimedia kernel from Agnula/DeMuDi.

I did try to run jackd at 48Khz rate initially, but at that point of time I didn't notice the
xruns because I was only trying to test the card (maybe 2 weeks ago...). So I can't recall the
behaviour of this card at 48khz...not much impression.

What I can remember from the time I ran jackd_AT_48Khz and ardour was this: Ardour thinks that the
card is sampling at 47Khz! It shows up on the Ardour window. I find this odd because most of the
time I see common sampling rate 44khz,48khz but not 47khz. I asked this question on one of the IRC
channels and was told that no card really samples exactly at 48khz. For this "odd" sampling rate
reason and also most of the drum samples I use are at 44khz. I just set myself to record
everything at 44khz and didn't look at 48khz. So i kind of refrained from it for a while :)

But thanks for the tip... perhaps I should try that again.

When i'm not having XRuns, I do have quite a number of "late driver wakeup" messages when running
with this card though. They appear quite frequently. I don't quite understand what this means
though. So far I can't find information/explanation for this. I was still able to record with
Ardour a track at a time while playing back the recorded stuff at the same time for 2 minutes
without pops, hisses and dropouts. I'm quite sure I can record more than 2 minutes under this
situation(2 minutes because I start to run out of ideas... not because the system can't take it
;-P).

I have also tried to record with ardour with plugins on (don't have a guitar amp so using the CAPS
ladspa plugins), when I do that sometimes I get xruns and jack complains ardour is not "fast"
enough or something like that. For dry signals normally its not much of an issue.

Thanks a lot,
Louis