Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: es1370 latency and jackd, late driver wakeup

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: es1370 latency and jackd, late driver wakeup
From: Louis Lam (lshoujun_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 12:53:06 EEST

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply...

 --- R Parker <rtp405_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:

> If the card is capable and assuming you're not using
> an external hardware mixer, you need Hardware monitor;
> Options, Misc, Hardware monitor.

I'm not sure whether my card supports this or not, is there a way to find out? But I was able to
start jack with HW monitoring and I can also hear what I play on the line in even when I'm not
recording.

I tried to set Options->Misc->HW monitor in Ardour too... but didn't notice any difference.
Still i see "late driver wakeups" and such. I guess running it with n=4 and p=128 is quite

> Normal, I don't know. Common, is another story. The
> key is that you have monitoring options that eliminate
> the need for low latency. Make sense?

Kind of... but how about actual recording itself from the capture? Please correct me if my concept
is wrong. I'm quite new to this computer recording stuff. HW Monitoring makes the line input
audible on the output. Capture puts the recorded samples to the application buffer then to the
disk. I agree with the "monitoring" latency but how about the "recording" latency?

Thanks,
Louis