Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI on alsa with SBLIve

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI on alsa with SBLIve
From: Erik Steffl (steffl_AT_bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 23:52:55 EEST

The Other wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:41:55 +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier
> <nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:

>>> You actually want asfxload.
>>> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=asfxload
>>> This should be in alsa-utils, but it isn't.
>>

>> for the record, sfxload and asfxload are functionally equivalent. the
>> funny thing about sfxload is that, while being used by alsa users a
>> lot, it does not actually speak alsa but needs the oss sequencer
>> emulation to work. asfxload is a native alsa sequencer application.
>

> Thanks for the pointer on were to find sfxload and asfxload.
>
> When using sfxload, I was able to load a sound font and use the Emu10k1
> WaveTable synthesizer.
>
> But when I read this post, I changed to the asfxload program. Then I
> got an error stating the emu10k1-synth was not present. Something
> about 'unknown HwDep'. In
> /lib/modules/2.4.26-lck1/kernel/drivers/sound I found
> snd-emu10k1-synth.o snd-emux-synth.o
>
> Why weren't they found at bootup? In my kernel configuration for Sound
> Support, I said Module to Sound and left everything else blank. Should
> I have indicated using Module for the Emu10k1 section?
>
> Or can I somehow load these modules at bootup time into my kernel? If
> so, how (or where can I read about this topic?)

   might depend on distro but usually the modules to load during boot
are listed in /etc/modules

   it also depends on how you create your devices and load the modules,
e.g. if you use udev you need to list the modules (loading of the
modules creates device special files). on the other hand you can have
device files pre-created and accing thew file would load the module.
Looks like udev is the future (from what I've seen on lkml).

        erik