Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI filter

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI filter
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 23:40:17 EEST

Hallo,
Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 09:26, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > I play the organ, and would like to sequence some organ music in
> > rosegarden4. The only problem is that the organ doesn't care how hard
> > you hit the keys (MIDI note velocity), so what would be a fine organ
> > performance sounds really silly because of the different velocities.
>
> I might suggest that you consider recording the velocity information but
> then not use it. It won't hurt anythign to have it in the MIDI file.

I agree here, but you need velocity info to detect noteon and noteoff,
but your organ synth probably should not care about the actual values
and instead play all notes as the same velocity.

For filtering I always use Pd, as it's very flexible and quick to do
all kinds of filters. Attached is a little patch which replaces all
velocities > 0 with 127. This is just five objects connected, I would
never care to use or write a special program for this kind of stuff,
which is quick to hack in Pd, Python, or whatever your "scripting
language" of choice is.

Ciao