Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI on alsa with SBLIve

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI on alsa with SBLIve
From: The Other (sstubbs_AT_shout.net)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 23:18:35 EEST

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:41:55 +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier
<nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:

> Lee Revell wrote:
>> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 00:31, The Other wrote:
>>
>>> But I would like to also be able to use the port-- 65:0 Emu10k1
>>> WaveTable. For that I appear to need the sfxload program.
>>>
>> You actually want asfxload.
>> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=asfxload
>> This should be in alsa-utils, but it isn't.
>
> for the record, sfxload and asfxload are functionally equivalent. the
> funny thing about sfxload is that, while being used by alsa users a lot,
> it does not actually speak alsa but needs the oss sequencer emulation to
> work. asfxload is a native alsa sequencer application.

Thanks for the pointer on were to find sfxload and asfxload.

When using sfxload, I was able to load a sound font and use the Emu10k1
WaveTable synthesizer.

But when I read this post, I changed to the asfxload program. Then I got
an error stating the emu10k1-synth was not present. Something about
'unknown HwDep'. In /lib/modules/2.4.26-lck1/kernel/drivers/sound I
found snd-emu10k1-synth.o snd-emux-synth.o

Why weren't they found at bootup? In my kernel configuration for Sound
Support, I said Module to Sound and left everything else blank. Should I
have indicated using Module for the Emu10k1 section?

Or can I somehow load these modules at bootup time into my kernel? If
so, how (or where can I read about this topic?)

Thanks All,
Stephen.