Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi/USB "control" board question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi/USB "control" board question
From: Michael T Nelson (m_nels_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 14:57:12 EEST

Zachris Trolin wrote:

>I'd like to get suggestions of available and working midi control
>boards: interface with faders, knobs, possible vu meters that's suppose
>to control computer software. I'm thinking of faders in Ardour, and all
>kinds of thinkable applications in pure-data and supercollider.

Funnily enough, I graduated in "Electronic Engineering with Music
Technology Systems" just over a year ago (York University). I'm based in
the UK. For my final year project, I designed and prototyped a
microcontroller-based MIDI control surface.

I've been planning to resurrect my project for a while now. Basically,
all that needs doing (once I've got myself a PIC programmer board
working) is to add some multiplexing to the input stage (so the control
surface can have plenty of knobs!), and then some reliability testing (I
think there are a couple of minor flaws which need ironing out).

I'm considering a few possibilities...
 - Building and selling the control surface as a finished device.
 - Selling kits (printed circuit board, pre-programmed PIC microcontroller).
 - Maybe making the assembler code and circuit schematic available under
the GPL?
 - Adding some interesting features...

Does anyone think there would be interest (let's say, amongst Linux
Audio users, for example?)

What sort of features might a user be interested in? I could add custom
features to the device if there's anything special anyone might want?
How about a joystick that sends MIDI control messages for two parameters
(can be mapped to something complicated in software?)

Michael Nelson