Re: [linux-audio-user] DAW Dillema -- Seeking Advice

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] DAW Dillema -- Seeking Advice
From: Joe Hartley (jh_AT_brainiac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 17:45:53 EEST

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
Greg Reddin <gtreddin_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yeah, my transport just stopped working. I'd press "Play" and the
> play button would highlight, but the cursor wouldn't move and no
> sound would he heard. Then I'd press "Stop" and both play and stop
> buttons were highlighted. By that time, I was too frustrated to try
> and get the problem fixed, so I just imported the raw tracks into
> Audacity and remixed them.

I hate to tell you this... but all that probably happened was that
Ardour lost connection with JACK. Save in Ardour and quit, then
restart JACK and start Ardour again and you probably would have been
right where you left off. (Listens for the distant wail of Ultimate
Suffering </princessbride>)

> IMHO, Ardour makes some choices that make it more
> difficult, at least for someone who is corrupted with a Windows
> background :-)

That's sort of like having to unlearn BASIC before learning a structured
programming language!!

I started using Ardour after a few years of using Windows & n-track.
A big learning curve, but I'm glad I climbed it.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh_AT_brainiac.com