Re: [linux-audio-user] DAW Dillema -- Seeking Advice

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] DAW Dillema -- Seeking Advice
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 19:59:34 EEST

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 10:45:53AM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
> Greg Reddin <gtreddin_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, my transport just stopped working. I'd press "Play" and the
> > play button would highlight, but the cursor wouldn't move and no
> > sound would he heard. Then I'd press "Stop" and both play and stop
> > buttons were highlighted. By that time, I was too frustrated to try
> > and get the problem fixed, so I just imported the raw tracks into
> > Audacity and remixed them.
> I hate to tell you this... but all that probably happened was that
> Ardour lost connection with JACK. Save in Ardour and quit, then
> restart JACK and start Ardour again and you probably would have been
> right where you left off. (Listens for the distant wail of Ultimate
> Suffering </princessbride>)
> > IMHO, Ardour makes some choices that make it more
> > difficult, at least for someone who is corrupted with a Windows
> > background :-)
> That's sort of like having to unlearn BASIC before learning a structured
> programming language!!
> I started using Ardour after a few years of using Windows & n-track.
> A big learning curve, but I'm glad I climbed it.

maybe this can sheds some light on my amazement with ecasound. I came to
linux and ecasound after a few years of using a fairly limited 8-track
shareware mixer called soundsculptorII on MacOS 8. As an example of the
limits I worked with there, panning could only be set statically for
each track, so If I wanted to move something around the stereo field I
had to cut and paste bits and pieces into different tracks. By
comparison ecasound is beyond comparison.

-Eric Rz.