Re: [linux-audio-user] suggestions for USB/serial/PCMCIA MIDI interfaces ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] suggestions for USB/serial/PCMCIA MIDI interfaces ?
From: Emiliano Grilli (emiliano.grilli_AT_poste.it)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 19:11:47 EEST

domenica, 03 ottobre 2004 alle 08:47:38, R Parker ha scritto:
> > There is also the "midisport" line from m-audio, but
> > if I recall correctly
> > they need a firmware upload to work, so I'd avoid
> > them:
>
> I use a USB Midisport 8x8 that requires firmware but
> it works great. My purchase would be based on price
> and not whether firmware is required.

I have no direct experience of devices that require firmware, but I recall
a thread earlier this year on the agnula-user mailing list discussing the
opportunity of distributing the firmwares, and if those firmwares were
"proprietary software" or not...

As far as I can tell, agnula/demudi still doesn't distribute those
firmwares.

I don't know if there are other 8x8 usb MIDI interfaces that doesn't
require firmware upload to work, and if feel the need of having 8 MIDI in
and 8 MIDI out I would probably consider one of these, but since Dave is
asking for a 1x1 or 2x2 interface - and here there are models that work
without the firmware, I pointed out that if I have the choice, I would
choose the simplest one to setup, and that has no problem with the
distribution policies of debian (which are very strict, I know...)

> MIDI devices in my studio include:
> *kurzweil k2000r
> *Yamaha keyboard
> *three digital mixers
> *rackmount lexicon effects unit
> *windows laptop with a MIDI sequencer
> *mac with Digital Performer
>
> I run qjackctl during all my work and its MIDI routing
> interface is great when combined with the 8x8. I have
> qjackctl setup to establish a specific set of MIDI
> routes when it starts. This saves me from routing
> everything manually. Definitely a must have feature.

Qjackctl is definately a "must have" ;)

Cheers, and please disregard my english :)

--
Emiliano Grilli
Linux user #209089