Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns - FC2/Planet(custom) vs. Gentoo(custom)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns - FC2/Planet(custom) vs. Gentoo(custom)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 23:21:43 EEST

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 12:33:13 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Humm...I don't know what the worst is that could happen. Probably
> nothing bad and it really wouldn't be that difficult to try. However,
> let's say I do it and it works, or I do it and it doesn't work. At
> that point what have I learned and how would it help me?

Well, I think the only difference is the compiler, so it would tell us
that the compiler is making a differece. If the plant kernel still gives
you xruns it tells you that some of the system stuff in gentoo is causing
you problems.

One thing that occurs is the filesystems, I think only ext[23] has been RT
tuned in 2.6, so if your gentoo system is using something else that could
be your problem.

> It would be funny to end up running Gentoo but *having* to build my
> kernels on a Fedora box! ;-)

Funny, or very anoying :)

- Steve