Re: [linux-audio-user] suggestions for USB/serial/PCMCIA MIDI interfaces ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] suggestions for USB/serial/PCMCIA MIDI interfaces ?
From: Emiliano Grilli (emiliano.grilli_AT_poste.it)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 14:25:50 EEST

domenica, 03 ottobre 2004 alle 11:01:12, Mark Knecht ha scritto:
> Hi Dave,
> I have a MidiSport 2x2. THe firmware loading thing has never caused
> me too much concern as I use it on the Planet box and Fernando has made
> that fairly easy. I had, for a long while, so problems with the thing
> not working on a cold boot, and also problems caused by dual booting as
> Windows would load firmware and Linux would find it as a new device.
>
> Overall it's performace is basically OK, although I think the MIDI
> timing under Linux was not quite as stable as the same hardware under
> Windows. In both cases I use the box as a platform for soft synths.
> Under Linux I've had more problems with notes being a bit out of time
> and once in a while completely missed, although that has not happened in
> a long time.
>
> I think it's hard to beat the price of this little unit unless you
> found a small USB 1-port of some type.

I just checked on http://www.thomann.de (an european distributor), and they
have the midisport 2x2 listed at exaclty the same price as the roland UM-2
(another 2x2 interface):

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw8_edirol_um2_midi_interface_prodinfo.html
http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw8_midiman_midisport_2x2_prodinfo.html

They're both listed at 68 EUR (I've checked italian prices), so if I were
asked to recommend one for use with linux... I'll suggest as first
option the roland UM-2 - just because the firmware "problem".

See what Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas says on the rosegarden tutorial:

"Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas, a contributing Rosegarden developer, reports that
getting the Edriol UM-2 working is as simple as plugging in the USB cable
and loading the snd-usb-audio module, which should probably be loaded
automatically by hotplug."

and:

"Pedro and Chris both report that the mAudio MidiSport interfaces are more
difficult to get working. Pedro reports that "some of them require a
firmware program to be loaded into the device's RAM before you can use it."

So, they are at the same price, offer the same functionality, one is easy
to setup and does not involve the use of proprietary software, the other is
"more difficult to get working", why should I choose the m-audio?

> Take care,
> Mark

Best regards,

--