Re: [linux-audio-user] suggestions for USB/serial/PCMCIA MIDI interfaces ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] suggestions for USB/serial/PCMCIA MIDI interfaces ?
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 21:01:12 EEST

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 07:30, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'd like to gain some hands-on knowledge on setting up a MIDI
> interface from my laptop to external gear. eBay lists a lot of USB MIDI
> interfaces, but I'd like to know what users on the list recommend for an
> inexpensive 1x1 or 2x2 box.
>
> I'm also looking for a serial port interface, probably one of the Key
> Midiator boxes. There's one on eBay now, but I'm being outbid on it by
> someone who obviously wants it more than I do. If anyone has one to sell
> please let me know, and I'd also like to know of anyone's experience
> with the Midiator.
>
> Finally, is there such a beast as a PCMCIA MIDI interface card ? Audio
> cards I know about, but I don't recall ever seeing such a creature as a
> PCMCIA MIDI card.
>
> TIA!
>
> dp

Hi Dave,
   I have a MidiSport 2x2. THe firmware loading thing has never caused
me too much concern as I use it on the Planet box and Fernando has made
that fairly easy. I had, for a long while, so problems with the thing
not working on a cold boot, and also problems caused by dual booting as
Windows would load firmware and Linux would find it as a new device.

   Overall it's performace is basically OK, although I think the MIDI
timing under Linux was not quite as stable as the same hardware under
Windows. In both cases I use the box as a platform for soft synths.
Under Linux I've had more problems with notes being a bit out of time
and once in a while completely missed, although that has not happened in
a long time.

   I think it's hard to beat the price of this little unit unless you
found a small USB 1-port of some type.

Take care,
Mark