Re: [linux-audio-user] GM sound font sets, was Now trying to configure

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] GM sound font sets, was Now trying to configure
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 18:42:08 EEST

Clemens Ladisch wrote:

>Alejandro Lopez wrote:
>

>>I'm now reading about Windows' SC-55 implementation,
>>

>This isn't a "SC-55 implementation" -- while the samples are a reduced
>version of the SC-55's samples, the MIDI implementation is essentially
>only at the General MIDI level, and not fully GS compatible.
>

>>... 8mbgmgs.sf2 ...
>>It may be the case that it contains the same samples even,
>>

>Creative's soundfonts were created by Emu. It is said that Roland's
>sample set is more balanced.

I'm using the Hyper Canvas VSTi plugin for most of my GM work these
days. The acoustic guitar patch is pretty good, ditto for the flute, and
the pianos are good too. I agree that Creative's fonts aren't really all
that good (though I do like the pianos), but they're free (as in beer, I
think) and work well with TiMidity and fluidsynth.

Btw, I use the Fluid_R3 soundfont with TiMidity for synth work. To my
ears it's about par with Hyper Canvas.

Best regards,

dp