Re: [linux-audio-user] Gentoo specific setup for a Midisport 2x2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Gentoo specific setup for a Midisport 2x2
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 20:25:38 EEST

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:23:08 +0200 (METDST), Clemens Ladisch
<clemens_AT_ladisch.de> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up my 2x2 under Gentoo but cannot make either
> > hotplug and/or Alsa happy.
> >
> > The 2x2 is seen by usbview as an unknown device. (763/1001 I believe)
> >
> > I've loaded fxload on the system.
>
> You need a firmware image and some hotplug script to call fxload with
> it. For the 2x2, you can use either the loader from
> <http://usb-midi-fw.sf.net/> or the loader included with the driver at
> <http://homepage3.nifty.com/StudioBreeze/software/usbmidi-e.html>.
>
> HTH
> Clemens

Thanks Clemens. I used the Sourceforge installer and it was a
painless. I actually used Wine to extract the Windows .SYS file. The
installer crashed (Wine, 'eh?) but the files all resided in the
windows temp directory. After that the install proceeded exactly as
was expected and the Midisport is recognized when I boot even if it is
attached, so I guess the Gentoo init scripts don't have the bug that
some other distro's have had.

BTW - here are the hand edits I did to my Alsa configuration last
night. Since the Alsa page for the Midisport wasn't (isn't) available
right now, can you confirm that these are OK?

flash mark $ cat /etc/modules.d/alsa
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias snd-card-0 snd-atiixp
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

options snd cards_limit=3
flash mark $

Not sure if the cards_limit should be 2 or 3 so I followed the PlanetCCRMA doc.

Again, thanks very much!

Cheers,
Mark