Re: [linux-audio-user] joysticks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] joysticks
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 18:06:04 EEST

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 03:52:50 +0100, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering whether anybody has any experience of using gaming
> josticks as musical controllers on linux?

Yep, works well. A tip I got from Frank Barknecht is using playstation
controllers, there a good size and have plenty of controls, you can get
USB adaports for them. Resolution on the joystick bits is not great, but
its OK for some things.

> Will this actually work? Do all USB joysticks work in linux? Are

I think so, they all appear to be USB HID devices.

> gaming joysticks accurate enough to use as musical controllers? Which
> software supports them? (I know they're supported to some extent in ssm,
> galan and pd -- I'll probably end up learning to use pd as I want to be
> able to use the fire buttons to do everything from triggering samples to
> changing patches and pd seems to offer the most flexibility that way)
> Is there any software that supports using two at once or will I need to
> do some hacking? Are there any major pitfalls I should look out for?

There is a bit of softwar earound that does USB HID to ALSA MIDI mapping:
http://www.terminatorx.cx/aseqjoy-man.html

- Steve