[linux-audio-user] creating audio-only dvds

Subject: [linux-audio-user] creating audio-only dvds
From: derek holzer (derek_AT_x-i.net)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 19:34:39 EEST

Hi all,

I have about a five and a half hour long concert I would like to burn as
audio on a DVD. I assumed that cdrdao or cdrecord would simply make an
"audio dvd" from the wav files, but that is not the case! My guess is
that there is something in the CDDA spec which prevents making an audio
CD over a certain length, because I get "illegal time code" errors from
cdrdao.

So, three questions:

1) Is there a way to master an "audio dvd" without encoding to a closed
DVD-A format? By this I mean a DVD disc with uncompressed audio which
can be played back by most CD/DVD combo players.

2) Failing this, I would be happy to simply burn a data DVD with the
tracks, but I want to make sure there are no gaps during playback
between the tracks [thus my idea to make a DAO "audio dvd"]. There are 7
tracks, each approx 50 min long, and each track continues directly into
the next. I do not have access to the original, continuous recording.
How could I get ecasound [or similar command line app] to append the
files together into one single, seamless file? Using a GUI app like
Rezound for this is just too cumbersome!

3) I am not sure if have a single 4 Gb wav file would cause playback
problems on a reasonably fast computer with a DVD drive. My intuition
says yes, however. What other options for seamless playback of almost 6
hours of sound do I have?

thanks much,
derek