Re: [linux-audio-user] creating audio-only dvds

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] creating audio-only dvds
From: Them (idragosani_AT_chapelperilous.net)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 19:33:49 EEST

derek holzer wrote:

> I have about a five and a half hour long concert I would like to burn
> as audio on a DVD. I assumed that cdrdao or cdrecord would simply make
> an "audio dvd" from the wav files, but that is not the case! My guess
> is that there is something in the CDDA spec which prevents making an
> audio CD over a certain length, because I get "illegal time code"
> errors from cdrdao.
>
> So, three questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to master an "audio dvd" without encoding to a
> closed DVD-A format? By this I mean a DVD disc with uncompressed audio
> which can be played back by most CD/DVD combo players.
>
> 2) Failing this, I would be happy to simply burn a data DVD with the
> tracks, but I want to make sure there are no gaps during playback
> between the tracks [thus my idea to make a DAO "audio dvd"]. There are
> 7 tracks, each approx 50 min long, and each track continues directly
> into the next. I do not have access to the original, continuous
> recording. How could I get ecasound [or similar command line app] to
> append the files together into one single, seamless file? Using a GUI
> app like Rezound for this is just too cumbersome!
>
> 3) I am not sure if have a single 4 Gb wav file would cause playback
> problems on a reasonably fast computer with a DVD drive. My intuition
> says yes, however. What other options for seamless playback of almost
> 6 hours of sound do I have?

Yeah, you need to do things a bit differently for DVD than for CDs. You
may need to look into using DVD authoring software, like dvdauthor (and
the various GUIs like DVD Styler, Polidori, etc). I don't know what
facilities it has for audio only, however. Tools like growisofs can be
used for burning DVDs, among others, once you have the DVD files built
(or an ISO image to burn to disk). Also, DVD audio is usually sampled
at 48 kHz rather than 44.1 kHz like CDs are.

-- Brett