[linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad_AT_laymusic.org)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 19:08:10 EEST

I had to rebuild my system a couple of weeks ago, and I'm having some
trouble with sound. What I want to have work is my SBLive sound card
under alsa.

I did the install from a knoppix disk, and I boot it with the alsa
option. I can play sounds using timidity, aplay, and realaudio (at least),
and record using audacity. kmix seems to work correctly.

However, when I try to run most of the mixers, I get error messages,
and therefore I can't use sound apps that expect to be able to run a
mixer.

I seem to get all the same errors whether I'm root or a user, so I
think the permissions are set up correctly.

Here are some sample error messages:

#pydance
     pygame.error: mixer system not initialized

#pysol
     Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/games/pysol/pysolaudio.py", line 229, in startServer
    self.audiodev.init()
error: unable to open audio: No available audio device
PySol: could not connect to pysolsoundserver, sound disabled.

root_AT_tuba:/etc/init.d# ./alsa restart
Storing ALSA mixer settings...failed.
Starting ALSA..../alsa: Error: alsactl restore failed with message 'alsactl: load_state:1134: No soundcards found...'.
done.
root_AT_tuba:/etc/init.d#

[~]# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
[~]#

[~]# amixer
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I've done a lot of
googling, and these error messages aren't uncommon, but none of the
suggested solutions seems to work for me.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad_AT_laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011