Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad_AT_laymusic.org)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 23:51:28 EEST

    Steve> I think you need to run the script that creates the
    Steve> devices, on my machine the config is in
    Steve> /etc/makedev.d/alsa, but I've no idea how you run it.

There's nothing like that here, but I've run
/usr/share/alsa-base/snddevices several times. If you have to give it
arguments, I don't have any idea about that either.

    Mark> So it looks like drivers aren't loaded. What's in
    Mark> modules.conf/modprobe.conf?

In debian (I think any debian), modules.conf is a file, which is created from
the files in the /etc/modutils directory. The sound-related stuff in
modules.conf is:

(This part is because I created /etc/modutils/alsa from directions on
the net.)

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/alsa
        # ALSA portion
        alias char-major-116 snd
        alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
        # module options should go here

        # OSS/Free portion
        alias char-major-14 soundcore
        alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

        # card #1
        alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
        alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
        alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
        alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
        alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

(This part is there in any knoppix system, I think.)
### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/alsa

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/alsa-base
above snd-pcm snd-pcm-oss
above snd-mixer snd-mixer-oss
above snd-seq snd-seq-oss

    Mark> What's the output of lsmod?

I think this might be the problem -- I have emu10k1 instead of snd-emu10k1,
although previously when that's been the problem I haven't had
anything work at all.

In the current setup I don't seem to be able to unload emu10k1 without
rebooting, and whenever I reboot, I get it back. I have tried
telling hotplug not to load it, but it comes anyway, so maybe it
isn't hotplug doing it.

Another frustration is that I can't boot any kernel-image that I
download (with the corresponding alsa-modules), because the knoppix
install formatted the root drive as ext3, and the premade
kernel-image's load ext3 as a module, so they can't deal with a root
ext3 partition. I've tried several things to work around that,
without success, too.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad_AT_laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011