Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad_AT_laymusic.org)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 02:45:06 EEST

>> I think this might be the problem -- I have emu10k1 instead of snd-emu10k1,
>> although previously when that's been the problem I haven't had
>> anything work at all.

    Mark> Don't know exactly about the emu10k1 thing. That may be OSS getting
    Mark> loaded somehow? All of the Alsa modules start with snd-XXYY. Here's
    Mark> what mine looks like:

    Mark> snd 45796 11
    Mark> snd_seq_oss,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_usb_audio,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    Mark> soundcore 7520 1 snd
    Mark> snd_page_alloc 7816 2 snd_atiixp,snd_pcm

    Mark> Since you don't have that sort of stuff it says Alsa isn't loaded.

    Mark> Look at dmesg carefully and see what info it gives you.

Here's the only thing I see in dmesg.

Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20, 19:48:16 Apr 17 20
04
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0f.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:04.5
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:11.2
emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 5 model 0x8040 found, IO at 0xc000-0xc01f, IRQ
 9
ac97_codec: AC97 codec, id: TRA35 (TriTech TR A5)

    Mark> Possibly you are not loading the right driver, or possibly
    Mark> the right driver cannot load because OSS is loaded and has
    Mark> taken over the hardware.

I don't see how this can really be oss, because aplay works. Is it
possible that knoppix renamed the alsa driver? Because there isn't a
snd-emu10k1 module for the only kernel I can actually run.

    Mark> Getting rid of OSS is beyond my skillset, although there is some info
    Mark> on the PlanetCCRMA site. It may apply since you seem to be running a
    Mark> 2.4 kernel, although it's for Redhat and you're running Debian...

I did it for my previous install by removing the modules, but I had
the alsa modules for my kernel in that case. I don't want to do it
here, since I don't have the ones you load.

I don't know why they make this so complicated.

I think the next thing I'm going to try is booting 2.6. I tried that
when I was struggling with recording, but I know the answer to that
one now.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad_AT_laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011