RE: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] How to automatehdsploader

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] How to automatehdsploader
From: Reuben Martin (MartinR_AT_jbu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 20:28:31 EET

>jackd allows any number of periods.
>alsa allows any number of periods.
>the HDSP and Hammerfall h/w only allows 2 periods, because it follows
>the design of ASIO in its hardware/firmware design.

Just out of curiosity: just what makes something ASIO compliant? Is it mearly a spec that has to be met or is there more to it than that? I've never really been able to find anything about just what ASIO is. It has seemed to be more of a buzz word used in the marketing of PC/MAC sound hardware than anything else. JACK used to have ASIO mode didn't it? Was it just a pointless option that was dropped?

-Reuben