Re: [linux-audio-user] suggest a synth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] suggest a synth
From: Florin Andrei (florin_AT_andrei.myip.org)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 10:34:18 EET

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 21:27, vord wrote:

> ive somewhat recently begun composing, and also experimenting a little
> with sound in linux ... so far though i only have a schumann baby
> grand piano and this gentoo linux workstation. i decided earlier this
> week to branch out a bit and purchase a synthesizer; and i figured i
> should poll this list for suggestions. my budget is pretty slim though
> ... $500 max.

Pretty slim indeed. There's only one good synth that's in your price
range, and that's a mini version of a bigger one (see below).

> new/used ... new/old ... analog/digital ... doesnt
> really matter to me. i just want rich sounds and plenty of knobs for
> twiddlin'. :D

This mailing list is, naturally, biased towards softsynths. There are
quite a few nice softsynths for Linux, e.g. have a look at ZynAddSubFX.

However, if you're like me and appreciate the qualities of hardware
instruments, then i suggest you should have a look at a virtual analog
hardsynth.

Why virtual analog?
Well, there's little or no point in buying a hardware sampler if you
wanna create new sounds; i currently own an Alesis QS6.2 and, while it's
an excellent sampler on its own (high praise to Alesis for creating an
instrument that's robust, straightforward and appealing), it's not
appropriate for creating new sounds (well, no sampler is, by
definition). Some people appreciate a sampler (those who want to play
existing sounds) but some other people, me included, just want to tweak
knobs and come up with new stuff. I'll probably put the QS6.2 on eBay,
it's in like-new condition.

If you wanna play samples, you can just get a few CDs with sounds, run a
soft sampler such as Specimen on your computer, get a cheap but good
MIDI controller, and that's it.

The reason to use an analog synth is to create new sounds (i won't list
here the reasons why to use a hardsynth as opposed to a softsynth, in
order to not rehash this old flamewar). Since "true" analog synths are
usually expensive, if you can find a virtual analog that sounds
reasonably well, then that's it.

I recommend to have a look at Alesis Ion or its little brother Alesis
Micron:

http://alesis.com/products/Ion/
http://www.alesis.com/products/micron/index.html

They corespond perfectly to your requirements - "rich sounds and plenty
of knobs for twiddlin'". The engines are the same, it's just the
interface that's different.
In the US, the Ion can be bought brand new for 700...800$, while the
Micron is at $400 or so. Of course, second-hand prices (eBay) are lower.
Both synths are currently top sellers at most of the on-line retailers
(the Micron is often back-ordered).
I played with an Ion at a music store, it sounds amazing. I'm in love.
See the reviews linked to on the Ion website, then listen to the audio
demos and you'll understand.
Pay attention that some early Ion batches have issues with the knobs,
try and avoid to purchase an early unit (or, if you get an older one,
make sure it comes with the manufacturer warranty and send it back to
Alesis, they fix all buggy units).
I plan to purchase an Ion myself, real soon now, in a week or two
hopefully.

Other options:

Access Virus
http://www.access-music.de/products.php4
Expensive ($1000 for the Classic, $1500 for Virus C, even more for the
ones with a keyboard) but second-hand might be cheaper.
A tad more complex than the Ion, but it's not a superset of the Alesis
gear - it sounds very different; plus, in some ways the Ion is more
complex. The Ion is "ultrafat" analog, while the Virus has more "digital
edge" and bite. Of course, the Ion can sound gritty too, while the Virus
can sound fat on its own - it's just a matter of degree.
Very popular among european dance composers.

Clavia Nord
http://www.clavia.se/products/index.htm
Expensive ($1000...2000 or more, depending on model) if it's new.
Has lots of digital grit (especially the Lead 2x which sounds anything
but "analog").
Popular among rock keyboardists (e.g. Derek Sherinian).

Evolver and Poly Evolver
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/
Evolver is $550, Poly is $1500
Unusual synths that generate clever sounds. Evolver has unfortunately
just one voice. Poly fixes that, but is more expensive.

Things that will make you drool:

Alesis Andromeda
http://alesis.com/products/a6/
The king of analog synths. The best analog ever made. Klaus Schulze uses
it. Enough said. Unfortunately, it's like $3000 brand new.

Hartmann Neuron
http://www.hartmann-music.com/home/
Revolutionary synth, ahead of its time, "the synth to end all synths".
It's not really an analog, but rather it's in a class of its own (uses
real-time neural networks to process the sound).
Extremely expensive ($4700). Also has a software version (comes with a
small hardware controller) but it doesn't run on Linux.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/