Re: [linux-audio-user] suggest a synth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] suggest a synth
From: Florin Andrei (florin_AT_andrei.myip.org)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 11:01:12 EET

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 04:26, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Monday 01 November 2004 11:40, Steve Harris wrote:
> > I would get a decent MIDI controller keyboard and use software synths.
> > Especially with modular synths, you have to put in a bit more work, but
> > the varietly of sounds you can get is enourmously wider.
>
> And opensource softsynths are _way_ cheaper and much better to carry in the
> train...
> And you don't have to get an ebay account if you don't like the synth
> anymore ;-)

OTOH, a softsynth is only as stable as the computer it's running on.
Also, often an OS upgrade causes problems to your existing softsynth, or
makes it stop working altogether. Also, a rogue program gobbling up
resources may "convince" your softsynth to stutter or crash.
But the biggest problem: a softsynth will never have an interface as
convenient and as good as a real, hardware synth. No matter what MIDI
controller you're using, it's not made for your synth. No matter how
fast or precise your mouse is, it doesn't compare to touching a real
solid knob.

While a hardware synth, you just plug it in, and it works. And 10 years
down the road, when all your softsynths are either dead or transformed
into something else, your hardsynth will work _exactly_ the same way.
And the interface? It's made for the engine, so it's a perfect fit.
And i'm not even mentioning ribbon controllers and other hardsynth
perks, which are beyond reach for softsynths.

Tell me you can do a softsynth that has exactly the same functions while
having the same usability as these things...
http://alesis.com/products/a6/andromeda.jpg
http://alesis.com/products/Ion/Gallery/Ion_Gallery_Top.jpg
...and i'll call you a liar. :-)

Just playing devil's advocate... ;-) I am aware of the advantages of
softsynths (you just mentioned some of them), i only outlined the
arguments of the other camp.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/