Re: [linux-audio-user] suggest a synth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] suggest a synth
From: Ryan Gallagher (ruinaudio_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 17:48:26 EET

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 11:22, R Parker wrote:
> --- Ryan Gallagher <ruinaudio_AT_comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 06:25, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> > > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:34:18 -0800, Florin Andrei
> > wrote
> > hardware sampler if you
> > Alesis QS6.2 and, while it's
> > Alesis for creating
> > appealing), it's
> > no sampler is, by
> > (those who want to
> > >
> > > To just be pedantic - but I don't get this at all,
> > a sampler is far better for
> > > making unique sounds surely?
> > >
> > > You can do what you want with sounds from any
> > source - ok, so you need a
> > > source to begin with, but a synth is actually more
> > restrictive as you can only
> > > make the sounds it's capable of (even a modular),
> > with a sampler you can make
> > > an entire track from the sound of someone sneezing
> > - if you have enough
> > > creativity and time... :)
> > >
> > > dave
> >
> > Absolutely true. Samplers are very misunderstood.
> > Samplers can be far
> > more "abstract" and creative in sound synthesis
> > IMHO. Also most
> > samplers (hardware ones anyway) include basic
> > oscillators and filters
> > and LFO's. All of the samplers I've owned could
> > make synth noises
> > without ever sampling anything or loading any
> > samples.
>
> I've got a Kurzweil K2000R. I haven't used it beyound
> testing but it's a sophisticated machine. I looked at
> them on e-bay recall seeing one for about $500.00 U.S.
> It's alot of synthesis, MIDI function controling,
> sampling and basic sequencing for that price. It's got
> eight analog outputs and a stereo paired digital
> output. You gotta love digital outputs.

Uhm, you have one of the most powerful and amazing synth/samplers out
there. It has a core engine called V.A.S.T. (Variable Architecture
Synthesis Technology), that basically lets you take samples, ROM
waveform noise or whatever and apply almost any synthesis technique.
And almost everything is realtime midi controlled.

Man, I'm envious.

I've been dreaming of finding a K2000RS for a good price. It's truely a
music production machine, it's amazingly full featured... enjoy.

-ry