Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Wired GPL Audio/MIDI sequencer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Wired GPL Audio/MIDI sequencer
From: Joe Hartley (jh_AT_brainiac.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 15:58:30 EET

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:17:02 +0000
"Mr. Spock" <spock_AT_canopus22.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I just saw this on Slashdot:
>
> Wired: Pro-Level, GPL'd Audio Editing For Linux
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/13/0423234&tid=141&tid=185&tid=1
>
> Has anyone ever heard of this?
> I don't know if it looks up to Ardour's standard.
> It supports ALSA and OSS, but no mentin of JACK or LADPSA;
> they mention plugins, but it looks like they have reinvented
> the wheel their own way :-/

>From their forums:
"We haven't think about being compatible with LADSPA yet because the
Wired plugin API is dependent on the graphic interface (the rack and
optional view system). However, we mght make a conversion utility or
provide a new Plugin class that would converts the LADSPA calls to
Wired calls transparently. The developer would still need to implement
the gui interface as required."

It looks shiny, though.

I'm surprised that there's an audio app of this complexity that I've
not heard of, but sometimes I don't pay attention. Oh well, I'm far too
invested (and happy with) ardour to make the jump!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh_AT_brainiac.com