[linux-audio-user] USB 1.1 soundcard

Subject: [linux-audio-user] USB 1.1 soundcard
From: Christoph Eckert (mchristoph.eckert_AT_t-online.de)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 19:08:58 EET

Hi,

these days I really was amazed, because while discussing the
new Virus TI in the Access mailing list, I was told that the
Virus TI will do audio over a 1.1 USB bus.

Is it really true that USB 1.1 can do audio, and if so, are
there any USB soundcards out there which one could recommend?

I did a search in the archives of this list, and found a
recommendation of Clemens Ladisch that the Edirol UA-30 is
working well.

Unfortunately, it seems that it is discontinued. So, are there
any further devices one of you uses successfully?

I ask because I have a Dell Inspiron notebook and the audio
connection is simply lousy; if there were any USB 1.1
soundcard which will work well on my Gentoo box, I guess I'd
immediately buy one!

I put some system specs below. Lets see what I'm looking for
in detail:

* Audio in and out, both stereo
* Mic in
* Headphones out (not needed necessarily)
* MIDI not necessarily required because I already use an
Edirol UM-1S

Furthermore, what would you like to recommend as plugs? What
are the (dis)advantages between cinch and 3.5mm plugs?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts,

    ce

uname -a
Linux Grandevitesse 2.6.7-gentoo-r6 #5 SMP Sat Oct 9 23:31:33
CEST 2004 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.60GHz
GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

/proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4 (Mon
May 17 14:31:44 2004 UTC).
Compiled on Oct 9 2004 for kernel 2.6.7-gentoo-r6 (SMP).