Re: [linux-audio-user] USB 1.1 soundcard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB 1.1 soundcard
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 21:30:00 EET

Hallo,
Christoph Eckert hat gesagt: // Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Is it really true that USB 1.1 can do audio,

It is true. USB1 can do up do 8 channels of 44.1kHz/16bit sounddata.

> and if so, are there any USB soundcards out there which one could
> recommend?
>
> I did a search in the archives of this list, and found a
> recommendation of Clemens Ladisch that the Edirol UA-30 is
> working well.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that it is discontinued. So, are there
> any further devices one of you uses successfully?

Discontinued? I'm sure you can still get it at various stores or
web auctions.

> I ask because I have a Dell Inspiron notebook and the audio
> connection is simply lousy; if there were any USB 1.1
> soundcard which will work well on my Gentoo box, I guess I'd
> immediately buy one!

I tested about 20 USB cards half a year ago, and almost every card
worked plug and play on Linux. I cannot recommend the M-Audio boxes,
though. Most Edirol cards work, both Terratec USB cards work (I use
the Aureon USB myself) but these are just two examples. If you can
take your laptop to the shop, this would be the best option for you:
Set up hotplug and ALSA for a snd-usb-audio card in advance, then ask
if you can test the device in the shop. Good shops will let you do it.
Online vendors (in Germany) like Thomann have a good return policy, so
there's no risk buying something online, too.

> Furthermore, what would you like to recommend as plugs? What
> are the (dis)advantages between cinch and 3.5mm plugs?

Cinch is not soo good if you need to oconnect and disconnect very
often. For this, "Klinke" (what was the english word?) connectors are
much better, because they are made for frequent plugging in and out.
However both are fine in general, and I wouldn't base my choice on the
plugs alone.

Ciao