Re: [linux-audio-user] USB 1.1 soundcard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB 1.1 soundcard
From: Christoph Eckert (mchristoph.eckert_AT_t-online.de)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 22:09:08 EET

Frank Barknechts Tastatur gab folgendes zu Protokoll ;-) :

> It is true. USB1 can do up do 8 channels of 44.1kHz/16bit
> sounddata.

I can't belive that. When I watch my USB camera transferring
pictures to my notebook, I'd never expect to be able to
transport 8 channels simultaneously to the box.

So, I really can use my USB 1.1-bus to use it in conjunction
with a full duplex stereo in stereo out card? I can't believe
that - and I guess, I'm going to try it out ;-) .

> Discontinued? I'm sure you can still get it at various
> stores or web auctions.

On the official Edirol page, I didn't find it. Otherwise, I'm
not stuck on Edirol.

> I tested about 20 USB cards half a year ago, and almost
> every card worked plug and play on Linux.

Ah, I remember; nice to hear.

> I cannot
> recommend the M-Audio boxes, though. Most Edirol cards
> work, both Terratec USB cards work (I use the Aureon USB
> myself) but these are just two examples. If you can take
> your laptop to the shop, this would be the best option for
> you: Set up hotplug and ALSA for a snd-usb-audio card in
> advance, then ask if you can test the device in the shop.

Hmmm. I meanwhile use a Gentoo installation, and hotplug isn't
really preconfigured well, so manual adjustment will be
necessary, and I'm not that experienced so I would spend a
whole afternoon in the shop ;-) . Anyway, I'd include a 7
days monex back guarantee with the dealer.

> Good shops will let you do it. Online vendors (in Germany)
> like Thomann have a good return policy, so there's no risk
> buying something online, too.

Yes, I've already been on the Thomann store today in the
afternoon :) .

> Cinch is not soo good if you need to oconnect and
> disconnect very often. For this, "Klinke" (what was the
> english word?)

I also didn't find the correct word, dict.leo.org has failed
today :) .

> connectors are much better, because they are
> made for frequent plugging in and out.

OK, you're right of course.

> However both are
> fine in general, and I wouldn't base my choice on the plugs
> alone.

Hm, I also think about the many adapters I will need, and
adapters are very expensive. My mixer has symmetrical
'Klinke' outputs. Cinch have no possibility to shield the
cable, so I'll try to get a 'Klinke' one.

Thanks a lot for your hints. I'll have a look (I already have
seen that there are lots of USB cards out there), and as soon
I have found one I'd politely ask you if you can tell me
something about it, if you agree ;-) .

 Best regards

    ce