[linux-audio-user] Re: Journals

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Journals
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 10:23:27 EET

[ Eric ]
>On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:56:03PM -0700, Hans Fugal wrote:
>> Are there any affordable journals/magazines out there that people
>> recommend, for computer music in general? I'd love to subscribe to the
>> CMJ but the cost is way out of reach...
>
>This may be a little subversive ... but, I subscribed to CMJ for a year
>or two. At the time they had online access to about 4 previous years as
>pdf files. Perhaps that information makes it a little more valuable?

The high price of CMJ must be because they are greedy... because
the CMJ is an academic/professional journal. This massive open
source activity by non-professionals is very new business, and
publishers should somehow change their pricing policies.
I would suggest that last 4 years could be high price for professionals
who really need to read the papers on time and that older than
4 years could be sold cheaply or (why not) placed freely available.

I picked up papers of those last 4 years from digital library
(was it Ebesco or Ingenta service). Check if you have access to
them at public library. There were a few interesting papers which
I could give privately if somebody would like to write open source
software on physical modelling (or anything).

However, the 4 years is not enough. I'm still looking for 1982
FDN reverb paper by M. Puckette (PD author, yes?) and for 1983
spatializing paper by Moore. And many more CMJ papers.

Anyone has ICMC papers in pdf format and could copy them to me?
Like years 1980-2004? I have no money to buy them but would like to
go through the papers. Well, somebody of us should go through the
papers, otherwise those ideas may not end up to open source software.

Juhana