Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 04:55:07 EET

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:19:45 -0800, Brad Fuller <brad_AT_sonaural.com> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:

> >Instead of a $400 2 channel PCI card we might end up with a $600
> >16-in/16-out device with hardware signal processing on board. To me
> >this is probably a better place to go. If we do all this work ten we
> >want to start working towards an architecture that will last.
> >

> Taking ladspa and mapping it to FPGA: how? and how would you do this
> efficiently, if you could do it? A C function to VHDL function
> convertor? (it's been a long time since I've worked with FPGAs. I'm sure
> there are advances)
> It might be more cost effective to use DSPs -- that is: more cost
> effective in the long run for everybody -- mostly the end user.
>
> brad

Sure - that's a fair comment and a design decision once some project
like this gets started. I just brainstorming. However, even with an
onboard DSP, which is most likely what Pro Tools does, we'd still need
to map from LADSPA C code to DSP code. Is that easy? I don't know.
Luckily I think we have many people here who probably could do good
stuff if they thought it was important to do.

Thanks for your input.

- Mark