Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support
From: Brad Fuller (brad_AT_sonaural.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 05:46:37 EET

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:19:45 -0800, Brad Fuller <brad_AT_sonaural.com> wrote:
>

>>Mark Knecht wrote:
>>

>>>Instead of a $400 2 channel PCI card we might end up with a $600
>>>16-in/16-out device with hardware signal processing on board. To me
>>>this is probably a better place to go. If we do all this work ten we
>>>want to start working towards an architecture that will last.
>>>

>>Taking ladspa and mapping it to FPGA: how? and how would you do this
>>efficiently, if you could do it? A C function to VHDL function
>>convertor? (it's been a long time since I've worked with FPGAs. I'm sure
>>there are advances)
>>It might be more cost effective to use DSPs -- that is: more cost
>>effective in the long run for everybody -- mostly the end user.
>>
>>brad
>>

>Sure - that's a fair comment and a design decision once some project
>like this gets started. I just brainstorming. However, even with an
>onboard DSP, which is most likely what Pro Tools does, we'd still need
>to map from LADSPA C code to DSP code. Is that easy?

I would think it's easier than mapping gates.
I have not ever looked at LADSPA code. I assume most people write in C.
Today's DSPs, even 10 years ago, have a full compliment of C programming
tools. Bingo.

Of course, the goal would be to strike a proper balance with making it
easy and cheap to design and mfr with making it easy and inexpensive for
the end user. From what I've read, that is your profession! I have
always said that engineering is an exercise in compromise ;-)

It would be a cool and fun project!

Have you seen plugzilla or receptor?
http://www.plugzilla.com/overview
http://www.museresearch.com/receptor_overview.php

Kinda what you're talking about?

I think they created a VST wrapper to run in Linux. I would bet the
creators of one or both of these products visit this site.

brad