Re: [linux-audio-user] Cheesetracker (or any other tracker) tempo questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cheesetracker (or any other tracker) tempo questions
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 21:24:48 EET

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:56:44 -0500, Lee Revell <rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 09:44 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > In Acid you can choose any loop you want as a starting point, paint
> > it in for a number of measures and then set the tempo that you want
> > the song to run at. Acid takes responsibility for resampling the loop
> > behind the scenes so that the loop plays right. (I.e. - starts and
> > ends on the beat.
> >
> > How do we do this in Cheesetracker?
>
> I think a few people have proposed a generalized loop stretching/beat
> matching library. Not sure if it exists yet. This seems to be an area
> where proprietary software is a little ahead.

Lee,
   Thanks for the inputs. Reading between the lines I'm getting that
there are no trackers that you know of that are capable of plugging a
wave file in and running it, in time, like Acid can?

   I've not don't much with time streatching programs before under
Linux. I think they are out there. Presuming that no one else shows up
and rescues us from this problem it appears that is the way to go I
guess.

thanks.

> FWIW a friend of mine met the guy who wrote Ableton Live. He said the
> beat matching code took him about three months to write.

All that work and it still only works that well, 'eh?