Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev/user] RME is no more

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev/user] RME is no more
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 20:27:47 EET

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I haven't read anything except this thread. I
> don't pretend to know
> what it really means. My understanding of RME's
> support for Linux was
> only that they provided some technical info. That
> info was then used
> by Alsa developers to do the drivers. RME did not
> actually develop or
> support any of the Alsa drivers TTBOMK. (They were
> 'supportive'.)
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> That said, I'm on vacation this week, but still
> interested in the
> Open Source hardware sound card solution many of us
> spoke about in an
> earlier thread on this list. (I think it was this
> list...)
>
> Creating something ourselves is a path to freedom
> and continued
> support from the community.

The total number of subscribers to the LAU and LAD
lists combined is 1,730. Let's assume 1,200 unique
subscribers. A very small user base! Let's assume %10
of those users are in the market to purchase a card, a
potential sale of 120 units.

I'm guessing you want to produce something like the
RME Fireface 800 which retails around $1,500.00 U.S.
I'd guess that devices capable of working in
commercial studios are mostly $500.00 U.S. and up.
Anything above $500.00 U.S. in the Linux Audio
demographic (any demographic) would probably knock the
potential sale down to about 12 units.

Can the development costs come in below $6,000.00 U.S.
and are the development hours justified? Probably
because you will develop Mac OS X and Windows drivers
before you release the product for resale. It is
insanity not to.

But this is where you run into serious challanges
because it will cost $150.000.00 U.S. to give this
baby a three month advertising run in the top trade
magazines. And we're whistling dixie if we don't think
competing is a requirement.

Then you're going to need a distributer. If you want
$500.00 U.S. per unit, the distributer will sell the
unit at $1,000.00 U.S. and the retailer will bump the
shelf price to $1,300.00 U.S. If you don't have a
distributer, banks and manufacturers aren't going to
extend you a credit line, etc, etc.

Competing with the big boys is a nightmare. Looking
past the grim realities of a grass roots effort to
design, manufacture, promote and sell hardware, I'd
consider designing a prototype and selling it to
someone with conditions that suit our interests.

If you're not attempting to design a profitable
business, then the above arguments are moot. Now you
release the design along with part numbers and
everyone assembles your design for themselves. Do all
the required parts exist and can they be ordered in
single user quantities?

If the answer to the first question is no, we've got a
serious challange. I'm fairly certain the answer to
the second question is no and means we have to coop in
purchasing parts. Not convienant but not out of the
question.

I think the immediate task is a definition of the
device and a business plan that defines the objective
and describes the feasibility. Manufacturing hardware
within a small and existing market probably won't work
by accident whether the objective is profit or
"scratch my itch."

Anyway, those are my thoughts. They are based mostly
on assumptions and within ignorance. The value of my
thoughts; <= "deer track soup". The value of freedom
and a community supportable product == "dream come
true". How would you beat it?

ron