[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 20:53:18 EET

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > FW Audio gibt es derzeit unter Alsa gar nicht. Und sehr viel von dem,
> > was beim FF800 FW-technisch unter Windows geschieht, ist
> > Eigenentwicklung. Wir würden also mit einem OS-ALSA-Treiber bzw. der
> > dafür notwendigen Hardware-Dokumentation in mehrfacher Weise unserer
> > Konkurrenz unter die Arme greifen. Bitte haben Sie Verständnis daür,
> > daß das nicht in unserem Sinne sein kann. Es geht nicht um eine
> > prinzipielle Abkehr von Linux.
> a short translation:
> currently there is no firewire audio support in alsa. a lot of the
> firewire technology for windows has been their development.
> it's not that they generally stop linux support...

And to translate the missing, but IMO important part

"With an OS-ALSA-dirver or the needed hardware documentation we would
support our competitors in several ways. Please understand, that this
cannot be in our interest."

So basically they want to protect their investment in getting
knowledge of how to implement a powerful firewire interface from the
eyes of other hardware manufacturers. It's a pity, of course, but also
somehow understandable. It's still good that they were and are
supportive regarding their PCI cards. This is different from a company
like NVidia, which not only hides docs for their competitive 3D-cards,
but also docs about network adapters and onboard soundchips. So with
NVidia it's a company philosophy to not talk to open source developers
at all, with RME it's just restricted to their new FW box. (Usual
plug: People should stop buying NVidia stuff, but not RME cards.)
Well, lets just hope, Freebob is successful, as this will generate a
nice kind of pressure in the FW world in general, to which RME might
bow later, too. ;)

Morale of story: Always buy old hardware of about one year ago at
least.

Ciao