Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 14:35:48 EET

--- Marek Peteraj <marpet_AT_naex.sk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 23:21, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 16:22 -0600, Jan Depner
> wrote:
> > > Man, I've been waiting all day for someone to
> say this. Personally,
> > > open source is not a religion for me so a closed
> source driver would be
> > > fine and dandy. Let the flames commence - now
> where did I put my
> > > asbestos underwear?
> >
> > Eh, it's a slow day, I'm bored. But I mean it
> 100%. Flame away...
> >
> > So, the next question is, what would it take to
> make a closed source
> > driver happen? They should start the bidding on
> alsa-devel at "one free
> > FireFace"...
>
> Lee and Jan,
>
> i talk to you as an owner of fireface. :)
>
> I really like the philosophy of not letting any
> closed source drivers
> into the kernel. In the end i only saw people upset
> because their XY
> nvidia or ATI driver wasn't working. Besides they'd
> need to provide it
> themselves, which means a lot more money than just
> handing out
> documentation or perhaps one free unit.
>
> My point of view - either open source alsa driver,
> or i'll just sell
> that unit. And now that they have accused me of
> causing damage to RME
> specifically because of this thread, i can only say,
> i'll stay away from
> any of their products. Speaking of damage, i'd like
> to see a slashdot
> story about this so that 30.000 people can judge for
> themselves. :)

I really hope you don't do that. RME has provided
"Pro" grade audio hardware when Linux Audio needed it
in order to become a legitimate alternative to
proprietary solutions. I hope you consider how much
work has gone into Linux Audio and how difficult it is
to develop that type of business relationship.

Whether you are in the right or wrong, is it
inconcievable for you to act for the interests of many
people by selling the unit and getting something else?

I made a mistake on this mailing list that was
regretable because it was bad for Linux Audio. Marek,
you know what I'm talking about. If it helps, use me
as an example of what not to do.

ron