Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 21:52:35 EET

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:37:39 +0100, Marek Peteraj <marpet_AT_naex.sk> wrote:

> > "Really? Did MOTU get the same kind of bad publicity?"
> > "No."
>
> Yes, from the start. Just as any other company that didn't or doesn't
> support open source.

This is an interesting POV. I personally do not care one bit if things
are Open Source or not. I install and use what works best. For this
reason I am still in both worlds, windows and Linux. Windows works
better then Linux for almost all of my needs, but Linux is always
improving and the development is fast.

I do not think I'll EVER care if things are Open Source the way you
do. The PC is just a tool to me. It's immaterial (to me) that drivers
or applications can be changed. It's immaterial (to me) since I cannot
program. So what that I get to look at the source? So what that ever
shifting people can continue to support it? I think I'm closer
(meaning dumb about software) to the average musician than most Linux
programmers are.

All I want are tools to feed my addiction. Once you become a hopeless
addict you are used to spending all your money on momentary highs and
then crashing in pain when the drug wears off. I own Guitar Center
another $75 for a Pro Tools update. There's a message on my answering
machine telling me to come there and give them money. I'm pitiful, but
I'm on my way out the door to give them cash. I don't even know what
this update gives me. I just update and update and update. (Not unlike
my Gentoo box building source code every day of the week...) ;-)

Maybe I need a 12-step program? ;-)

- Mark