Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 23:37:39 EET

> "Hey, we're on Slashdot, we're depicted as the big bad monopolist who
> keeps all their technology proprietary and does not let poor Open Source
> folks play with their toys."

Nothing like that happened. It's just so that people are informed and
warned so that they don't end up with $1500 worth of useless
hardware(unless you install windows).

> "Really? Did MOTU get the same kind of bad publicity?"
> "No."

Yes, from the start. Just as any other company that didn't or doesn't
support open source.

> "Well, i guess this is the reward for being nice guys and involving
> ourselves with the Open Source stuff. We won't repeat this mistake, i
> hope everyone else in the industry learned the lesson as well."
>
> Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see an Open Source driver for the
> Fireface. But if it's true that it would reveal too much info, then i
> understand them.

And honestly i don't understand you. Go to the audioscience site, have a
look in the drivers section and look who does the drivers.
And they could have had their super-duper tradesecrets aswell.

Marek