Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 21:37:41 EET

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 18:12 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> And who the heck cares, that you
> cannot buy a single modern 3D-card anymore, which has open source
> drivers, by any manufacturer?

Sure you can. The VIA unichrome cards have open 3D drivers. But, of
course, it's not the best 3D hardware on the market.

>From the vendor's perspective if getting your device supported under
linux means you _need_ to release an open source driver, you will find
that the best hardware is disproportionately unsupported. Nvidia has a
lot more valuable IP at stake than VIA when they release an open source
driver for their 3D gear. If you don't understand why, I can't help
you.

Lee