Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 22:02:33 EET

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 13:50 -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:
> Passing the info on to the DRI project folks got no
> response at all; further queries revealed that the DRI project's
> Matrox experts effectively aren't involved in the DRI project
> anymore, so now no open source developers are working on the Matrox
> drivers. A little bit of time spent in the XF86/X.org/DRI bug
> tracking systems will show similar Matrox bugs that don't get any

According to the DRI folks, the issue here is that 3D drivers are
_hard_, and there are just not enough open source developers who have
the skills to fix these kinds of things. For example there are 3 or 4
3D chipsets for which we have docs but no driver.

So it's not quite as simple as "release some docs and the community will
write a driver".

Lee