Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Wolfgang Woehl (tito_AT_rumford.de)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 02:43:07 EET

Lee Revell <rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com>:
> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 13:51 +0100, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > I really like the philosophy of not letting any closed source
> > drivers into the kernel. In the end i only saw people upset because
> > their XY nvidia or ATI driver wasn't working.
>
> That's a perfectly valid point. But for every disgruntled nvidia
> user there are 100 who are just happy to be able to play UT2004. As
> Jan said, open source is not a religion for every Linux user, and
> like it or not, if you have superior hardware and good drivers there
> are many Linux users who will buy your gear, open source or not.
>
> Lee

Religion? I always thought having open source was pragmatic in a deep
way. Oh, and it was there first. You wouldn't have a mail-client
without it. You would sit in the dark and pray.

For the sake of it I put in my 2 cents as well:
RME's decision to release HDSP tech info was intelligent.
Their decision to not release Fireface tech info is smart at most.

Wolfgang