[linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.
From: jonathan segel (jsegel_AT_magneticmotorworks.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 14:35:30 EET

>> It's also apples and oranges, because the application is different.
>> Most Linux is in data centers and ISPs where you might have 50 or
>> hundreds in a room. Most MacOS is on the desktop at home.

ok i'm going to add two more cents to this pot, worth exactly that.

first off, i use os x more than i use linux. this is because i carry a
powerbook on tour with me and perform with it every night. when i can i
also carry my sharp/planet-ccrma laptop, but i only use both in
performance and/or recording when i am doing
electronic/outside/avant-garde music. my day job is being a
professional rock musician!
i was teaching electronic music in universities before my band's
reformation. i will eventually go back to that.

all that said: most of my time around computers is either in university
electronic music studios or rock music recording studios, or with other
musicians. the MAJORITY of these people are using mac os x. in the
studios it's about 8 to 1, mac to pc. among younger musicians it's
about 7 to 1. for example, every member of my band owns a mac laptop,
including the tour manager and record company people. our european tour
manager uses a pc laptop.
even our perl-geek webmaster, besides running linux, uses mac os x.
  i know very few linux users, and even fewer linux audio users. i
recently did a lecture-presentation at the university of birmingham in
the UK and was willing to set up linux audio boxes for them (but the
hoops the IT department makes one jump through proved too small to get
through!) i am really interested in getting more linux audio into
university electronic music studios, i think that's key to expansion of
the platform.

so back to the topic. at home in my home studio (where we actually make
records!) i have several computers. i have two digidesign interfaces
for mac (one 001 for the desktop, one mbox, that i carry on tour, ever
since they made multi-client drivers for it.) i have one RME multiface
with both pci card (in 2.4ghz planet-ccrma/gentoo box) and pcmcia card
(in sharp mv-12w laptop). i used to use the rme with os x also, but RME
were so snotty on their support forums about mac problems that i almost
gave up entirely on the company. they are so self-righteous! then i
started using the multiface with the linux systems, and once i got it
to work with the laptop, i was happy.

i have had 2 m-audio things, a quattro (never worked right wth
anything) and a firewire 410, which became superfluous, so i sold it.
the advantages to the mbox that i use right now are: multi-client
drivers and preamps built in. the disadvantage to using it is no midi
i/o.

anyway, there's 2 more cents. soon we'll have a whole euro!

         Jonathan Segel -- 4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
                 MAGNETIC -- http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com