Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Erik Steffl (steffl_AT_bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 21:41:55 EET

Marek Peteraj wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 20:44, Lee Revell wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 13:51 +0100, Marek Peteraj wrote:
>>
>>>I really like the philosophy of not letting any closed source drivers
>>>into the kernel. In the end i only saw people upset because their XY
>>>nvidia or ATI driver wasn't working.
>>
>>That's a perfectly valid point. But for every disgruntled nvidia user
>>there are 100 who are just happy to be able to play UT2004.
>
> Are you sure? I don't know but i've literally seen tons of complaints.
> It scared me away and i just stick with my old g400.

   I have ATI Radeon 9800 binary driver and while it works (except of
shame of being able to run only _one_ X server at a time) I am not
particularly excited about it:

   - need to recompile external kernel module everytime I upgrade kernel

   - need to install ATI openGL libs which override openGL from debian
package (mesa) in a nasty way (so I need to force install, which creates
problem when I upgrade libxmesa packages which I need installed because
openGl programs depend on them, I think this can be solved somehow but
it requires fairly deep knowledge of what's going on, not something you
can expect from general public).

   it was similar with nvidia (which I used to have before I got ATI).

   both of these are poorly integrated into distributions and are pain
to use. Yes I am happy that I can watch openGl xscreensaver hacks (I
mostly have ATI 9800 card because it can handle 1920x1200 on DVI) but
compared to the rest of the distro they stick out like a sore thumb.

        erik