Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Rick B (zajelo3_AT_cfl.rr.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 00:31:38 EET

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 13:51 +0100, Marek Peteraj wrote:
>

>>I really like the philosophy of not letting any closed source drivers
>>into the kernel. In the end i only saw people upset because their XY
>>nvidia or ATI driver wasn't working.
>>

>That's a perfectly valid point. But for every disgruntled nvidia user
>there are 100 who are just happy to be able to play UT2004. As Jan
>said, open source is not a religion for every Linux user, and like it or
>not, if you have superior hardware and good drivers there are many Linux
>users who will buy your gear, open source or not.
>
>Lee

That's me. I admit that I'm not an Open Source purist, my kernel is
tainted by a closed source Nvidia driver so that I can play UT2004 on
Linux. What are my alternatives? Play UT2004 under Windows? That's not
going to happen. What are the alternatives for Linux pro audio users?
(1) Linux & closed source drivers. (2)Windows & closed source
everything. (3) Mac & closed source drivers. (4) Build your own open
source based audio interfaces. (5) As was mentioned before, "start a
dialogue with Audioscience". If RME has a Fireface 800 osx driver it
shouldn't be that hard to port to Linux. Open Source software is winning
some impressive battles, but it's not going to win them all. "Rome
wasn't built in a day" if you understand what I mean.

                Rick B