Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 01:55:58 EET

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 20:14, Ryan Gallagher wrote:

> > ok i'm going to add two more cents to this pot, worth exactly that.
>
> Oh, I disagree... your post is a very valuable POV. Thanks for
> expressing it. Linux users are still a minority and linux audio users
> an even smaller one, downright miniscule. We should try to stay "real"
> in estimating our tiny presence in this huge industry.

Ok let's get this straight. ;)

(why do we always underestimate ourselves)

> <snip>
>
> > all that said: most of my time around computers is either in university
> > electronic music studios or rock music recording studios, or with other
> > musicians. the MAJORITY of these people are using mac os x. in the
> > studios it's about 8 to 1, mac to pc. among younger musicians it's
> > about 7 to 1. for example, every member of my band owns a mac laptop,
> > including the tour manager and record company people. our european tour
> > manager uses a pc laptop.
>
> Though I'm not as "in the know" as I once was... in all my years
> watching shows, talking to bands, hanging with "real" musicians, I've
> never once come across anyone using linux besides myself for audio.
> This is Chicago btw. I've tried to proselytize but to no avail ;-)

Suppose that each city and perhaps a fairly large town in the US and
Europe has got at least *one* linux audio user.

Likely? I think so :)

How much users would that be? Hundreds? More?

Now let's look at the windows/mac market. Every mac user using his mac
for audio has got an audio device. This could be Presonus, mackie,
apogee, maudio, echo, TC, edirol, digidesign, motu, terratec, metric
halo, egosys, tascam...etc, etc, etc, etc(i got all those from exaclty
one issue of keys, listing through it for 3 minutes ;)

Firewire ist the latest hype, no doubt. Mobile recording, a/d's in
breakout boxes, cool(tm).

So your friends are using a unit from companies listed above or other
companies.

Now let's look at the "tiny" linux audio market. Ask everyone what unit
he has got. I bet it's going to be 2/3rd RME 1/3 Maudio.

I think the equation isn't that simple. Numbers will grow. Look at the
d/l or visit rates for linux audio apps. Very interesting market for RME
since it's *dominant* in this new emerging market. If they were more
active they could easily secure their position. Which means cash, more
cash, and more cash.

> Anyway, the reason I'm responding is to:
>
> 1) second the validity of your statements regarding OS representation
> (LAU is a pretty insular community, sometimes it feels bigger than it
> is)

Sadly it's exactly the opposite.

Marek