Re: pro-audio knowledge and the linux cause [Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]]

Subject: Re: pro-audio knowledge and the linux cause [Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]]
From: Joe Hartley (jh_AT_brainiac.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 16:05:18 EET

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:16:23 +0100
Frank Barknecht <fbar_AT_footils.org> wrote:
> TapeOp looks like a nice magazine. However from glimpsing over their
> webpage and from reading the term "pro audio" here, it always seems to
> involve some kind of recording business.

A lot of what they do at TapeOp is geared to people who do this for a
living, but it's almost always from a ground-up approach. They interview
a lot of small studio owners who started recording with a Fostex 4-track
and just kept going, and they're slanted towards people trying to do this
onthe cheap. (Unlike, say, Mix.)

They occasionally have DIY articles (this month has a mod for Oktava
ribbon mics), and drool over the same unattainable gear as the rest
of us :)

Sure, they're focusing on people doing this for a living, but it gives
me a chance to find out what people who know more about this stuff than
I do handle things. I've learned how to record drums with 3 mics,
how to mic a guitar amp, and how to deal with click tracks. Mix would
never deign to stoop to that level. (I've always thought that Mix
should have a note on the cover "You must have 24 channels or more to
buy this magazine.")

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh_AT_brainiac.com