Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: RME is no more

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: RME is no more
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 21:43:21 EET

http://eca.cx/lau/2004/11/0814.html
http://eca.cx/lau/2004/11/0901.html
http://eca.cx/lau/2004/11/0885.html
http://eca.cx/lau/2004/11/0919.html

> And a risk that you'll give the info away and whatever their
> secret is will be out of the bag.

Their secret is 0.3ms away from the secrets of others. And those 0.3 ms
can't even be guaranteed.

> There's no value for them in doing this. If they don't want the
> ingredients for their secret sauce known by other burger makers then
> you cannot release the driver as Open Source, can you?

I think there's a difference between an ALSA driver and detailed
documentation. Anyway, it's possible to rip someone's IP off no matter
how well protected it is. I think it's been proved numberous times
throughout the history of digital era.

> It only helps
> you and not the community at large.

Seems like. OTOH everyone's talking about FW. So it doesn't seem like.
;)

> > But let's look at it from the card manufacturers perspective. He wasn't
> > involved in the community for several years, doesn't know its evolution,
> > nuances etc. He takes a look here, sees a few people saying "we're just
> > 10 people here, guys let's give up anyway, it's not worth it".
> > Consequences are worse because there's little action going on.
> > Perhaps i'd be nice to start a petition of all rme and maudio users. But
> > we'd need to widely promote such activity so that we can reach almost
> > every rme or maudio / linux audiop user in the world.
>
> Go for it. I'll sign up, depending on what the petition actually says.
> I won't take part in threatening RME or any other company.

No threatening. Just what i was talking about all the time. A linux
audio market research.

> > Never if it comes to corporations.
> > They either:
> > 1. ignore you if their position is strong enough(sometimes even if they
> > have no such position, but there are successful and unsuccessful
> > companies)
> > 2. accept your requirements
>
> Wow! It appears that there are very few options in your world.

Name more.

> > > To you? always? Hmm.
> >
> > I'd be glad to learn it's the opposite. A few exceptions just prove that
> > rule.
>
> We can work together to find them I think...

Give one or two concrete examples.

Marek